You deserve to know these 32 life lessons by the time you’re in your early 20s.
I say deserve because each of these lessons can help in life and especially throughout your 20s. I hope you come to understand these sooner than later so you can live these upcoming years with these lessons already under your belt.
1. Not everyone will like you and that’s okay. You aren’t here to please everyone, that would be an exhausting life. Be true to yourself, be kind to others, and let your passion shine. If someone doesn’t like you, that’s their loss. Let them hate, you just keep on loving.
2. Actions done with good intentions cane still end up hurting others. And if it does end up hurting someone, be sensitive to that. Humble yourself and apologize regardless of what the original intention was.
3. You’ll never be happy if you constantly compare.
4. You won’t forget him, but you will move on. (Yes, even if moving on feels impossible.)
5. Don’t forget to call home. Your parents are still getting older while you’re away. The time doesn’t stop at home while you’re gone.
6. Take time to smell the roses and enjoy the little things because years from now those moments are what you’ll be thankful for.
7. In college, no one cares what you did in high school.
8. Don’t be lazy. Work hard, work out, be active.
9. You survived what was once the hardest thing you’ve ever been through. You can do it again.
10. Self-care is more important than you know. Sleep well, eat well, exercise, relax or life will build up and hit hard.
11. You might not be saying anything mean or hurtful but your tone can make all the difference in how it’s perceived by others.
12. Not everyone is out to get you.
13. Both spontaneity and planning are important. Find the balance.
14. You are worth it. Don’t let anyone tell you or make you think any differently.
15. You will come to appreciate the bad experiences and even the people who caused them.
16. Time spent with your friends won’t last forever. Cherish that time, take pictures, remember every little thing. One day you’ll each have your own family, jobs, and homes. These times don’t last forever.
17. You might think you “found yourself” in high school but really you didn’t know a thing about yourself until you faced life truly on your own.
18. Everyone has tummy rolls. Stop chasing the impossible expectations you set for yourself based on society.
19. Social media can lead to wasting time and time is precious. Live in the real world and not through a screen.
20. Don’t judge someone based on first impressions or appearances. You don’t know their story.
21. When you’re out at the bars, go out of your way to meet and actually have a good conversation with someone new. This is an underrated idea that could really pay off. If anything, you might get a good story.
22. Don’t lose your groove. Whether you’re dancing around alone in your room getting ready or out at a fraternity dancing the night away until 3 am. Don’t loose that simple joy.
23. Read and write. It’s good for the soul.
24. You could be the juiciest peach on the tree and someone is still going to hate peaches.
25. Don’t let boys define your worth.
26. If you feel incomplete, a man won’t help fill that hole. God will.
27. Stand for something or you’ll fall for anything.
28. Roll with the punches because who knows what’s next.
29. Talking won’t do anything. Actions speak louder.
30. You might think you’re the only one with a particular problem, but you’ll find someone else that has the same one. You’re not alone.
31. The messed up situations and people in your world are not your fault and you are not responsible for fixing them. They have to help themselves.
32. The best days are ahead of you. There’s so much more life to be lived so be grateful and persistent even during the hard times.
Via Whiskey Riff.